“E raka te maui e raka te katau" "A community can use all the skills of its people”
Talk to your local Health Promotion Advisor at your District Health Board if you want to consider using the church setting to reduce alcohol harm in your community.
In the Auckland region, there are two major health promotion projects in Pacific churches:
Consider the following when developing programmes within churches [48,50,51]:
1. Programme is culturally appropriate, holistic and has a flexible design to meet the needs of diverse Pacific ethnic groups
2. An everything-on-the-table approach
3. Ensure that the activities do not lead to self-doubt and negative outcome such as guilt and depression.
4. Provide life-skills education and support to enhance motivation, self-management and strengthen church community relationships.
5. Develop ongoing plans so that the programme as a long-term future.
6. Review and reflect on progress.